2020 James Gray Memorial Pre-Convention Day
Sponsored by the California Writing Project
Thursday, February 20, 2020
Pre-convention registration includes:
Morning Keynote: Michelle S. Pledger, Ed.D.
San Marcos Writing Project Teacher Consultant and Co-Director, Share Your Learning Campaign, Project Co-Director, Deeper Learning Hub, Equity Deep Dive Facilitator
Lunchtime Keynote: Betina Hsieh, Ph.D.
Former Bay Area Writing Project Co-Director and Associate Professor, Teacher Education, Cal State Long Beach; Teacher, Curriculum Designer, Literacy Specialist
Three rounds of resource- and strategy-packed workshops led by CWP teacher leaders organized around the following possible thematic strands of Disrupting Texts, Disrupting Truths, Disrupting ELA, Disrupting Power, and Disrupting Teaching. These workshops will further focus on the following topics:
- Developing students’ abilities to present arguments and use evidence: in discussion and debate, in print and online, in school and in the community;
- Growing students’ civic engagement by inviting them to research issues within their community and to propose solutions;
- Supporting student interaction with challenging texts, perspectives, and issues through strategic use of print, digital, and multimodal sources;
- Tapping into digital tools that enrich teaching, writing, and learning;
- Connecting student interests and social engagement to academic studies, civic participation, college preparation, and career opportunity;
- Teaching writing and literacy practices that support and empower activist learners and civic participation;
- Assessing writing in ways that inspire student reflection, persistence, and improvement;
- Addressing California’s new standards—CCSS, ELD, NGSS, History/Social Science Framework—through varied writing genres, purposes, and contexts, not formulas.
Morning coffee/tea and luncheon will be provided.
Registration is a part of Package A or can be chosen as an “a la carte” activity.
LAX Marriott | Feb. 21-23, 2020
Thursday Pre-Convention with the California Writing Project
Online Registration Instructions